The image is a photo of a dewdrop on the edge of a branch, about to fall. The north-facing east end of the building UA Museum of the north is refracted through the dewdrop, upside-down from our perspective. Branches and the sky can be made out in the dewdrop as well. The background is fuzzy due to being out of focus.
Hello! My name is Rusty. This will be my junior year of UAF. I wanted to attend this class to get more familiar with my casual hobby of taking photos. I don’t intend on going professional but I wanted to make the most out of my camera and figured participating in a university course was the most enriching way to learn how to use a decent camera.
This photo wasn’t taken with my DSLR, but with my Samsung 8. This was memorable to me because I was just driving into work and saw dewdrops on the birch trees in the parking lot, and I went “Oh I absolutely NEED to take a picture of that,” so I spent twenty minutes posing my phone in manual mode to get a decent shot of the refraction. I found that the process was frustrating because even with the manual mode, I couldn’t take the picture I wanted. It was sort of a wakeup call that I had to figure out professional camera if I wanted to invest time and care into my hobby.
I think it’s an interesting composition. I would have like to have made the dewdrop larger in the frame, so I could get more of the scene behind it refracted in more detail. I also think the placement of the branch is strange, though because of its shape it was pretty difficult to find a good angle that would satisfy the standard rules of composition. I’m sure if I used the DSLR on this shot I would have had an easier time posing and taking shots, but I didn’t have it at the time.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.