Assignment #1

Hello! My name is Finn and I live in Talkeetna, AK. I have lived here for my entire life, and I am currently a senior in high school. I have dabbled in photography for a few years now, but my main interests lie in film making. I figured this class would be a great way to improve my manual camera skills, and my eye for composition and framing. I am very excited to have assignments requiring me to go out and take photos, because often the thing holding me back from doing so is a lack of motivation. I shot the three photos below last year.

Photo 1: Taken on the same day as Photo 3, Photo 1 instead showcases a small off-shooting waterfall flowing out after the large main falls. I like how instantaneous the photo appears. The water is caught in an exact moment, and looks very crisp, almost as if it is ice. I also like how the foam and snow frame the dark water on both sides, top and bottom. 
Photo 2: I shot this in mid-August, near the end of Petersville road in Trapper Creek Alaska. The landscape looks almost dreamy, which I really like. The light was just right, and the clouds are spun into wispy clumps that almost look painted on. I love how lumpy the greenery looks, rolling hills with subtle shadows. I wish that the blurry plants weren’t in the foreground, but regardless I think the photo came out good. I also like how the river that can ben seen closest to the camera appears to go way off into the distance, when in fact everything after the first river bend is the road I was taking the picture from.

Photo 3: This photo was taken near a little waterfall in Girdwood, Alaska. I saw these dripping icicles seeping down the rocks at the edge of the falls and thought it would make an interesting photo. I like how the green moss peeks through, adding some color to an obviously winter atmosphere. Often times winter shots can be lacking of color, for better or for worse, so the moss is a nice effect.