Assignment 1

I took these photos last February while vacationing in Hawaii. Getting the angles and lighting and editing to my liking was challenging as these are pictures of me and I traveled there alone. However, the lighting and scenery there is very forgiving. I think the first photo sums up the purpose of the trip – mostly to reflect on life, what was working, what wasn’t working, and what I planned to do about it. I ended up changing fire departments after 17 years as a result of this heavy reflection. The second silhouette pic captures my wanderlust spirit, as I absolutely LOVE motorcycle touring alone. This was captured at sunrise, and I’ve spent many mornings on the road getting up before the sun so I can get out of populated areas before rush hour.
I’m a 40 year old fire captain working at the University Fire Department and am taking this class to continue exploring my interests as I plan for the next phase of my life. I like to lift heavy weights, ride motorcycles, snowboard, ride my snowmobile, fish, hunt, and spend time with my four doggos. The dogs are difficult to photograph well, as two of them are black and they’re always, always moving. I would like to get some action shots of my german shorthaired pointer specifically. He’s a wildman and the love of my life.
I enjoy exploring Alaska’s wilderness, and want to find the best angles and lighting and focus and….I don’t know what all goes into the perfect picture, but I want to know about it and use what I learn to save those memories for when my joints won’t let me get out of the rocking chair. Oh, and I want my Insta to be A1, so getting good photographs is key to accomplishing that. My handle is jb_no_chill if you want to see what else I’ve photographed.