Assignment 2 – Depth of Field

For this assignment I took 3 sets of photos to practice my depth of field using aperture (f-stop), exposure/shutter speed, and ISO.

Photo 1 — Wine bottle: f5.0, ISO 200, 1/50 sec. Depth of field is small so background is blurred.

Photo 2- Wine bottle: f32.0, ISO 1250, 1/8 sec. Depth of field is max, so background so everything should be in focus.   Had a little trouble with the white being nearly blown out on the left side, used some burn to help.

*btw – Eleanor is one of Francis Ford Coppola winery’s flagship wines, it’s named after his wife, and it’s really quite good.

Photo 3 — Son: f10, ISO 800, 1/80 sec. Depth of field is small so background is blurred.

Photo 4 — Son: f32, ISO 1600,, 1/20 sec.   Depth of field is max, so background so everything should be in focus.   I didn’t like how this one turned out, but it was the best one I had in the shoot with a bigger f stop setting.

Photo 5 — Car: f4.5, ISO 200, 1/100 sec. Depth of field is small so background is blurred.

Photo 6 — Car: f14, ISO 500, 1/30 sec. Depth of field is max, so background so everything should be in focus.

Fun assignment and it was fun setting up these shots. I was a little frustrated with my camera settings in manual as I found the lowest stop I could select would change. If I’m in manual I figured it should go to what I say, but the lowest I could go would “change’ from 4.5, 5.0, and 5.5 as the lowest I could go with the same lens during these shoots.

But don’t shoot any pairs where everything is at infinity unless you include an obvious foreground. Why not? Since everything is in focus, it may be difficult for the viewer to know what your overall point of focus of the picture really is.